Need a pre-Christmas chill out? Join us for Candlelit Yoga Nidra – a session of deep relaxation to de-stress before the big day.
• Monday 18th Dececmber – 7:30 – 8:30pm – United Reformed Church Hall, Buntingford
• Tuesday 19th December – 7:30 – 8:30pm – Braughing Community Centre
Yoga Nidra translates as Yogic Sleep. If you’ve never experienced this blissful practice before, it’s a little bit like an extra long savasana. Sometimes described as ‘dynamic sleep,’ Yoga Nidra uses a body scan and visualisation techniques allows the body to deeply relax while the mind stays inwardly alert.
Between the states of waking and dreaming lies a state of awareness which psychologists call the hypnagogic state – it’s characterised by alpha brain waves, deep and progressive relaxation and release of muscular tension. Usually, we don’t experience much more than 3-5 minutes of this deeply restorative state, but it’s where our practice of Yoga Nidra aims to take us.
Studies on Yoga Nidra and deep relaxation have shown benefits to include:
• Lowered stress response and stress reactivity
• Reduced muscular tension
• Better regulation of hormones, blood pressure and blood glucose
• Alleviation of anxiety, depression & PTSD.
• Improvements to insomnia and sleep quality
• Alleviation of chronic pain
We will start with a short mindful movement sequence to loosen up and help the body prepare for relaxation. We’ll then transition into a relaxed lying position for the Yoga Nidra session which lasts approximately 30 mins.
You will need:
• Warm, comfy clothes
• A warm blanket
• A pillow or folded blanket for your head/neck
• Anything else you need to feel as comfy as possibly lying down (pillows to go under knees, more blankets – particularly in Braughing as the hall can get a bit cold)
• Bottle of water
• Leave your phone and Christmas to-do lists at home 😉
Yoga mats are provided.
Cost: £10 Adult | £8 Senior/ Full-Time Student
Limited spaces available. Book your mat today via Paypal: